"Staying Out of the Ring of My Enemy, Regret"
by The Word Weaver, Deb on October 14th, 2013

I have fought death matches with Regret.  She fights dirty.  Punches hard.  Swings low.  Pummels fast.

Sometimes she attacks unexpectedly, dragging me into the ring.  Other times, including the not-too-distant past, I placed myself in harm’s way.  Friends begged me not to enter the ring.  I stepped forward resignedly, feeling that I had to.  In fact, as a Mom, I was convinced I deserved the beating.

Regardless of how I end up in the ring of Regret, I face defeat every time.  There are no rules—and no mercy—in these fights.  With her laser-guided accusations, she strikes the solar plexus.

"Remember when you did this? "

"Said that?"

"How could you?"

Then she delivers the knock-out punch:  "You’re a horrible Mom. "
Photo credit:   andriux-uk events/6909230259, Creative Commons

Regret leaves me beaten.  Bruised.  Battered.  Bloodied.

It’s an unfair fight from the start.  Regret is a cruel and warped enemy.  I cannot change the past—berating myself or allowing Regret to beat me senseless is foolish and unwise.  I’m also realizing that it’s unnecessary.

I’ve discovered that focusing on my regrets and on my past blinds me to the whole truth. So now, I’m learning to stay out of the ring.  Have I made terrible mistakes?  Yes.  I’ve also grown and changed.

Instead of listening to and agreeing with Regret as soon as she starts to heckle and taunt, I’m confronting her—and myself—with truth.  I’m reminding myself of God’s truth:

*He forgives—“But I, yes I, am the One who takes care of your sins—that’s what I do.  I don’t keep a list of your sins.”  (Isaiah 43:25, The Message)

*He heals and uses the deepest moments of remorse—“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”  (Psalm 147: 3, NIV)

*He is on our side—“What, then, shall we say in response to this?  If God is for us, who can be against us?”  (Romans 8:31, NIV)

*Oh, how He loves me—“Many are the woes of the wicked, but the Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in Him.”  (Psalm 32: 10, NIV)

*He does not waste experiences—“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.”  (Romans 8:28, NIV)

*He’s not done yet—“Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in your will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 1: 6, NIV)

And those times I am still tempted to get into the ring with Regret again?  I turn and run instead to the arms of my Heavenly Father.  I pour out all my concerns because He understands and cares.  He soothes my ragged memories and worried thoughts.  He reminds me of His promises and immerses me in His peace.

I’m so grateful that God is not confined or constrained by the boundaries of the past.  I’m learning to trust God daily with my everything—my past, present, and future—and to rest in His sovereign care.  Regret may be a bullying heavy-weight champion, but Jesus is the Victor.

Copyright 2013, The Word Weaver, Deb Weaver

Linking with this lovely writing community at Jennifer Dukes Lee's place:  #TellHisStory

Posted in Courage Required, A Work in Progress    Tagged with Enemy, Regret, Truth, Victory, Mommy Guilt

Lisa - October 14th, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Super great! It took me a long time to learn this too. As you've stated here, God's Word truly quenches all the fiery darts of the enemy. I love your conclusion too.."Regret may be a bullying heavy-weight champion, but Jesus is the Victor." Makes me wanna sing the Rocky tune! Great post...great reminder.
The Word Weaver, Deb - October 14th, 2013 at 4:09 PM
The song reference has me smiling! Thanks! I guess it doesn't matter how long it takes us to get as long as we do! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Missy - October 14th, 2013 at 8:50 PM
That Jesus is the victor is the one weapon in our back pockets that will trump Regret every time. We are more than conquerers through Jesus - and OH the comfort that brings me when Regret starts trying to pick up a fight. I loved this visual, Deb, of how Regret can be like a millstone around our necks dragging us down to the mat again and again - if we forget who wins in the end.
The Word Weaver, Deb - October 15th, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Missy, I, too, am so grateful that our Victor trumps all our enemies! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!
Constance Morrison - October 16th, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I love that Message version of Isaiah 43:25. I'll try to remember that the next time regret tries to land a punch.
The Word Weaver, Deb - October 16th, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I have only started reading from the Message Bible in the past year or so and I LOVE its fresh wording! Glad we're both fighting back!
Tresta - October 16th, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Yes! Jesus is the Victor. Love the verses you shared and the reminder. Regret is a nasty foe, but our God gives so much more grace.
The Word Weaver, Deb - October 16th, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Yes, He does! I'm grateful He is Awesome Victor and Amazing Grace-giver!
Teresa (aka Sadie Grace) - October 16th, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I just found you - I clicked over from another blog where you had left a comment. And the Word Weaver caught my attention. So I had to check you out! I read your about page and a lot of what you said seemed very familiar. I am a former English teacher, but I butcher grammar. I adhere to the belief that grammar rules are made to be broken if it serves my purposes to do so. And commas. I usually put them where I need to breathe as I tend to ramble in really, long, run-on sentences. I can be wordy. I too love poetry for it's ability to contain a large thought in a small space. I will have to come back and read more of your blog. I am going to add you to my reader so I won't forget to check back.
The Word Weaver, Deb - October 17th, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Hi Teresa, thank you for stopping by, commenting, and adding me to your reader. I love your practical approach to grammar rules! We wordy, grammar rebels need to stick together! I do hope you'll stop back again!
Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life - October 17th, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Deb, I LOVE THIS POST! :)

I immediately thought about the lyrics to Matthew West's song "Hello, My Name Is." Have you heard it? The 1st line says "Hello my name is regret..." but then the singer flips a switch and stands tall declaring, "Hello, my name is the child of the One True King."

That song and this post make my heart happy.

Thank you for blessing my day! :)
The Word Weaver, Deb - October 17th, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Hi Lyli! No, I haven't heard that song. I'll have to check it out! It's amazing the number of things that my inner voice can call me. God keeps reminding me who and Whose I am! Thanks for the encouragement and the song reference!
The Word Weaver, Deb - October 17th, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Wow! That is a powerful song--I just found it on youtube. Thanks again for sharing!