"Learning Never Stops~July"
by The Word Weaver, Deb on August 1st, 2013

Photo credit:  Sharon Drummond, "Book Chaos", Creative Commons, Flickr

"Learning Never Stops~July"

Thanks to parents who read to me, made me look up words in the dictionary, and took us on educational vacations, I love learning.  I especially love to read, write, and travel, but learning often occurs in the dailiness of life.

A blogger I admire, Emily Freeman, started posting things she’s learned each month and is encouraging others to share their experiences as well.  Please be sure to check out this post and read Emily’s revelations as well as the others who link up at the bottom.

Here are the top five things I’ve learned this past month:

5.  M&M’s bought for a trip ten days away will not have a chance to travel.  (Now that I think about it, this is similar to what I’ve noticed about Halloween candy in the past.  Apparently my favorite candy choices are homebodies...short-lived ones at that.)

4.  I am losing my touch!  Long have I reigned in our household as Champion of Games.  Recently, I’ve lost (repeatedly and soundly) in Scrabble, Upwords, and Uno.  The competitor in me would be appalled and plotting revenge if she could stop laughing.  My adult kids regularly make me laugh till I cry and clutch my ribcage.  It makes losing more palatable.

3.  Just as you can purposely attract lightning strikes, you can also encourage inspiration strikes!  This was news to me!  I need to relinquish my throne as Princess Procrastination and work on my pre-writing rituals that help  train my mind muscle to know when it’s time to write.  I learned about it in Denise J. Hughes’ book entitled, On Becoming a Writer: What Every Blogger Needs to Know.  You can too!

2.  I’ve discovered a fascination with many things British!  The BBC’s productions of Sherlock Holmes and Downton Abbey rank as my favorites.  Masterful!  Mesmerizing!  Magnificent!  Other happy British favorites include Princess Kate, Prince William, and their precious Prince George!  I’m a sucker for happy endings, you know!

And…the biggest thing that I learned during July…(drumroll please…)

1.  It took till the very end of the month, but I learned that it’s okay to be myself.  Now, I realize that this is a lesson I should have learned long ago, and in truth, I probably have processed this truth over and over.  Apparently, it’s something I need to relearn during different cycles of life.

Between all the rains we had (daily downpours for thirty straight days!) and the tears that resurfaced often, July was a wet month for me.  The weather was bothersome, but my heightened emotions were downright frustrating.  I couldn't figure out where all the tears were stemming from, at first.

As the month and plans to visit my family in Michigan progressed, I began to realize that a lot of my tears have to do with this being my first visit back home since my Mom died two years ago.  My heart is tender and still grieving.  It makes sense, but I spent much of the month frustrated with myself for being so emotional.  Like it’s a surprise anyway—I’ve always been able to cry during thirty second commercials, for goodness sake!  Of course, real life elicits tears.

Sarah Young, author of Jesus Calling, wrote the following words of encouragement from the perspective of the Lord in her devotional dated July 31:  “…Rather than scolding yourself for your humanness, remind yourself that I am both with you and within you…”

Yes, instead of being frustrated for being myself, I need to extend myself grace.  Some seasons are harder than others, but God is with me and within me.

So, what about you?  What have you learned lately?  I’d love to know!
Copyright 2013 The Word Weaver, Deb Weaver

Posted in A Work in Progress    Tagged with Learning, Growth

Brooke - August 2nd, 2013 at 1:04 AM
I love your #1 thing learned - - and I agree it's probably one of those things to re-learn during the changing cycles of life. And the same thing happens when I buy M & Ms !!
The Word Weaver, Deb - August 2nd, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Thanks for stopping by! You'd think with it being a lesson I learn over and over that I'd recognize it a bit faster. I'm so grateful for God's persistent patience and love!
Heidi McCahan - August 2nd, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Deb,
Popping over from Emily Freeman's link up. Yes, we were side by side in the linky list, weren't we? I love how you refer to yourself as the word weaver. That's what writers do, isn't it? I'm sorry July was a bit on the soggy side for you, but I thought the quote from Jesus Calling was spot on. My go-to devotional used to be Utmost for His Highest, but Jesus Calling is now the one I reach for first. So, so good. I hope you have a great day and thanks for sharing your list. -Heidi
The Word Weaver, Deb - August 2nd, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Thanks for popping over! I used Utmost for His Highest for years, and I love it! I just started reading Jesus Calling in June, and it has been the most timely thing!
teresa - August 2nd, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I think you are right, we do need to relearn in different seasons of our lives
The Word Weaver, Deb - August 2nd, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I tend to learn many of the same lessons over and over--in different seasons, in different areas.
Amy L. Sullivan - August 3rd, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Love Jeus Calling, Love Denise Hughes, Love Scrabble (although my 10 year-old just beat me)...sigh.
The Word Weaver, Deb - August 3rd, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Sounds like we have lots in common! It's rough when the kiddos start to shine in "our" areas! Now if it was a math game, who would care?! But a language game? UGH!!!

Thanks for stopping by!
Krissa - August 3rd, 2013 at 3:34 PM
#1--what a great lesson to learn. And I agree...we do have to relearn things several times throughout life. :) Great list!
The Word Weaver, Deb - August 3rd, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Thanks! I appreciate you stopping by, Krissa!
Brandee - August 3rd, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Love your easy, conversational tone...love your voice! Keep blogging, for sure! Popping in from Emily's.
The Word Weaver, Deb - August 3rd, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Brandee, what lovely encouragment you've shared with me! Thank you for stopping over from Emily's!
TJ - August 5th, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I like how you did list with #1 last. Great lesson too. I lost my dad two years ago and the grieving hits me when I least expect it. I pray your visit back to Michigan is healing and goes well.
The Word Weaver, Deb - August 5th, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Thank you. Grief is such an unpredictable current and, just when I think I'm getting my feet under me, I'm thrown under again!
Mandy - August 20th, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Hi, Deb. Thanks so much for visiting my blog recently. I am also a big fan of Emily's monthly lists. Yours is so great! Yay for #1. Also, I love running across people with Michigan connections (surely you know that Emily grew up in Michigan), as I have lived here my whole life:)
The Word Weaver, Deb - August 20th, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Hi Mandy! Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your kind comments. And no, I didn't realize that Emily grew up there! I lived in MI for many years, and I truly miss the Great Lakes.