Confession to Community
by The Word Weaver, Deb on April 27th, 2012

I'd planned to link up my writing to one of my very favorite blogs (www.thegypsymama.com ~Yes!  Go visit this delicious delight!  You will not regret it!) for "Five Minute Friday."

The goal is to write joyfully, freely, and then to link/post your writing to her site for everyone's mutual enjoyment and encouragement.  I've not been brave enough to try it until today.

Today, the topic, "community," circulated around my brain, banged up against the side of my head, and reverberated through my body until ink was jarred from my pen onto my paper while I sat at Panera waiting for my son's drama practice to finish.

In the end, I didn't link my writing on Lisa Jo's blog because I broke all the rules (write only for five minutes, no editing, no backtracking).

However, because it rang true, I decided to post it on my own blog, among one of my own communities.

"Confession to Community"

Genuine community is a gift to treasure.  I'm grateful for that which occurs within my family, in my weekly small group, and among my close friends~those online and those in person.  Much of my life happens within the safe embrace of these precious people.

This soul connection provides a safe haven where we can:
  • be honest and transparent about real life
  • relax into our "realest" selves
  • give and receive support
  • grow and celebrate
It takes time, trust, and intentionality to build the relationships that frame this gift of community.  As we invest in one another's lives, the foundation of community is secured.  Sometimes as we meet heart-to-heart, full details are shared.  Other times, it's enough to know that others are hurting.  Acceptance and grace are offered in both cases.  This kind of bravery, honesty, risk, and love is excruciatingly beautiful.

Standing before the majestic Pikes Peak with one of my forever friends (and college roommate), Carol Bieganek, November 2011.

Community is more than important; it's essential. I believe in it even when it's hard.  It's especially difficult when I'm in need or at my weakest.  When I have nothing to offer in return.

You see, I'm used to being the giver ~the listener, the comforter, the hugger, the hand-holder.  The encourager.  It's what I do.  It's who I am.  But there are days I have nothing to give.

Then it's harder to be on the receiving side.  Humbling.  And yet, learning to both give and take is part of living in community with others.

So I try.  Even when I'm wounded.  Without strength.  Struggling to hope.  When any prayer beyond "Oh, Father!" is more than I can manage.  On a day like today...

Due a combination of things including details that belong to another, I will not fully explain; but because we value one another, let me share this...

Today I could use your prayers, your hugs (virtual and otherwise), and your reminder that everything is going to be okay.

Thank you for listening and for caring.  I feel better just having told you.

Copyright 2012, The Word Weaver, Deb Weaver

Posted in Courage Required, One Another    Tagged with Friendships, Community, Bravery, Transparency

Teresa - April 27th, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Love you, praying for you!
The Word Weaver, Deb - April 27th, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Thank you, friend!
Tara - April 27th, 2012 at 9:36 PM
I can't relate it all in just simple words, sometimes words don't feel descriptive enough of feelings. But l've felt burdened and heavy laiden, knowing that I cannot fix and bring rightness always. But the Lord reminded me that we can seek comfort in praying for one another, singing Him praises, and acknowledging that God created us to be unique creatures. He teaches us, not to just correct but to mold and rejoice in our growth. I'm so overwhelmed that God is someone we can trust to always be right and do right, my job everyday is to just try!
The Word Weaver, Deb - April 27th, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Yes, words are often inadequate! I'm also grateful God gives us comfort and encouragement through His Spirit, through His Word, and through His people.
Barbara - April 28th, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Yes! Dear friend, you have captured the desire God has for each of us in the body of Christ. Trusting in Him with all your heart, leaning on Him(pressing in)....He will lead us....He will carry us. Thank you for continuing to pour out as God works in your heart and helps many in the process.
The Word Weaver, Deb - April 28th, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Pressing in! I'm so grateful He knows, He cares, and He understands. Thanks, friend.
Alia Joy - April 28th, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Hugs and prayers. Walking with you friend. It is harder to be on the receiving end, but oh the blessings we receive when we allow others to get close and hold us up.
The Word Weaver, Deb - April 28th, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Thanks, Alia Joy. I appreciate that we're journeying together.
September - April 28th, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Everything will be okay. Whatever weighs on your heart today will be lifted. xoxo
The Word Weaver, Deb - April 28th, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Thank you, September. I am having a much better day. My heart really was lifted as I shared it.
Mary - April 30th, 2012 at 7:39 PM
I have often thought about soul-mates. I don't think we have one soul-mate in our lives. We have many. They are presented to us at different walks of our lives and it seems to me we recognize them when we see them. I haven't figured out all the commonalities in my soul-mates other than they tend to recognize in me what i recognize in them. I feel blessed to have you in my life. You are one of the peaceful presences that has made my life richer, my heart more joyful, my sense of self expanded. I Love reading your words. I am not sure I say that enough.

Love,

Mary
The Word Weaver, Deb - April 30th, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Thank you, Mary. You are a great encourager of me. You say it enough! You, Michele P., and Lisa N. boosted my courage to blog through your own brave actions. I appreciate the rich gift your friendship is in my life too.
Mary Beth - May 1st, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I'm excited to see you tried Five Minute Friday. I plan to try it in the future!

Sounds like we are a lot alike on the "always giving" side. I'm a counselor by trade, so its my job to always give. That makes it doubly hard to first admit it and then receive it when I need help and encouragement.

Thanks for sharing! Praying for you this morning.
The Word Weaver, Deb - May 1st, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Mary Beth,
Welcome! Thank you for reading and for your encouragement. It does sound like we're alike in being givers ~may we continue to reach out in our own needs or we won't be able to give. Counselors do such important work! I've learned so much from mine in the few months I've been going. Thank you for the prayer.